I'm running, feet pounding hard against the concrete, sending strikes of pain through the bottoms of my bare feet. I can barely breathe, my lungs are doing double time. The air around me is cold, but I hardly feel it anywhere except my ears.
Sounds. I can hear sounds errupting behind me but I can't turn and look. I have to keep running. It's dark, very dark, where I am. I can hardly see. I know I'm not going to run into anything though. Who would be out this late?
You're out this late. My brain responds. Stupid wit.
I'm slowing down. No, I have to keep running. Faster. Faster. The woods are up ahead. I can see the outlines of the trees, the only thing visible beyond the black of this town. Leaves begin crunching under my feet and the soil is wet, I'm getting filthy. What about my clothes? What am I wearing? Is there something in my hands? Why aren't I aware of anything.
The sounds are closer, no time to investigate appearances now. I veer off, weaving circular patters. Am I trying to throw someone of my trail? Are they tracking me with scent?
Yes was the immediate answer. I'm feeling light headed. There's an open field ahead. Just get to the field.
I collapse in the wet, leaf covered grass. The smell makes me gag, I still can't breathe. My heart is pounding, my lungs screaming for air, my head throbbing. I only close my eyes for a moment. My hands are in front of my face.
Heels. I'm holding a pair of strappy black and white heels in my hands. There's jewlery draped on my wrists and on my fingers. Am I dressed up too?
I try to stand, but slip on the leaves and fall. A dress. I can see the dress now that I'm sitting up. White with a black bodice and corset. Pixie-like. Tight against my torso, falling out of line and flaring out where it meets my waist. Beautiful.
It's then that I realize I'm crying. I know I'm going to die.
The man was over me suddenly, his eyes the color of the harvest moon. His features were animal like, almost like a dog.
Someone I couldn't see commands attack and he's on me, tearing my apart. I can still feel all the pain...

No comments:
Post a Comment